Phone: (347) 561-0025118-21 Queens Blvd., Suite 416Forest Hills, NY 11375
After graduating from university with ‘magna cum laude’ honors, Dietrich P. Epperson secured a scholarship to attend Boston College’s top-ranked law school. As a law student, his course work emphasized criminal law and criminal procedure. After completing law school, he moved to New York City to work as a prosecutor at the Queens County District Attorney’s Office. As an assistant district attorney he prosecuted serious felony cases, exonerated people of crimes they did not commit, investigated homicide cases, and gained extensive trial experience.
Here are a few examples of the cases he handled as a prosecutor:
- The New York Times featured one of his cases, in which a burglary case turned on DNA evidence taken from a sneaker.
- During a shooting homicide, he became concerned with the evidence against the accused. To get to the truth, he spoke to out-of-state witnesses, reviewed hours and hours of videotaped interviews, and discovered that the man was mentally unstable and made a false confession. The accused man was released from jail and the case dismissed
- He handled a case where two brothers were facing up to 25 years in jail after witnesses mistakenly identified them as the perpetrators of an armed robbery. He interviewed numerous witnesses, reviewed taped phone calls, and took steps to dismiss all charges against them.
- At the prestigious Homicide Investigations Bureau, he investigated and helped prosecute a number of murder cases. These included several domestic violence homicides (see Balbir Singh and Pedro Ayala cases) and a love triangle homicide.
- Successfully prosecuted an 11-year old cold case homicide in the shooting death of a cab driver. The New York Law Journal featured the hearing he won to prevent the suppression of evidence in the case. And at the eve of trial, the defendant pled guilty and received a lengthy upstate sentence.
As a prosecutor, Dietrich P. Epperson gained significant trial experience and confronted troublesome flaws in the criminal justice system. After 6-years as a prosecutor, he left the District Attorney’s Office and opened his own law practice.
As a New York criminal defense attorney, he handles all types of criminal cases. He has clients who are accused of relatively minor offenses such as shoplifting, marihuana possession, and violating court-mandated orders of protection. He represents clients who are accused of being involved in sophisticated multi-state or international identity theft and fraud organizations. He defends clients charged with drug trafficking and possession of narcotics with the intent to sell. He also represents clients who are charged of murder, gang assault, attempted murder, violent robberies, and gun possession. And he has clients charged with rape, sexual assault, and other sex-related offenses. In sum, he is an expert in criminal law and defends his clients against all types of criminal accusations.
Here are just a few examples of the great outcomes that Dietrich P. Epperson gets for his clients:
- The District Attorney dismissed the case against a Queens man falsely accused with beating and sexually molesting a family member.
- He won trial and obtained a not guilty verdict for man who fractured his co-worker’s eye socket.
- He won trial and obtained a not guilty verdict for a store owner who was accused of seriously injuring one of his customers with a hammer and was facing 7 years in jail.
- He won trial and obtained a not guilty verdict for a man who had been charged with Rape in the First Degree and had been facing up to 25 years in jail.
- In another trial, Dietrich Epperson’s client was found not guilty by a jury for fighting with police officers and threatening to kill them.
- He has repeatedly contacted detectives attempting to arrest his clients and convinced them to drop the charges and not make an arrest.
- After his client was charged with possessing 2 kilos of heroin, he convinced the judge to release him with no bail, then had the case reduced to a non-criminal disorderly conduct.
- His client was accused of felony assault on a police officer and was facing up to 7 years in jail. After preparing his client, and conducting a thorough investigation of the case, the grand jury in the matter concluded that his client had been falsely accused and all charges were dismissed.
- One of his clients was accused of felony sexual charges against a minor. After an investigation, Dietrich Epperson prepared a memorandum for the District Attorney’s Office detailing his client’s innocence, and the alleged victim’s motivation to create false charges in the matter. Due to the investigation and memorandum, all charges were dismissed against his client on the second court date.
- Recently, Dietrich Epperson convinced a judge that the search of his client’s vehicle was unconstitutional, and the judge suppressed two loaded pistols. After the guns were thrown out of court, the District Attorney was forced to dismiss all charges against his client. In that case, Dietrich Epperson’s client was a convicted felon, and faced up to 15 years in jail.
- After his client was arrested by federal agents for possessing 75 pounds of marihuana, Dietrich Epperson was able to get the case reduced to a misdemeanor with no jail.
If you have a criminal case in New York, particularly a serious matter, you owe it to yourself to speak with Dietrich P. Epperson and see what he can do to help your case. All initial consultations with him are free of charge. Even if you cannot afford to hire him, he will listen to you and give you the best advice he can to help your case.
- J.D., Boston College, 2005
- B.A., University of Utah, 2002
- Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- State of New York
Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York